Are you ready for a pet?
Ask yourself these questions before you decide to add an animal to your family:
- Why do you want a pet?
- Does your job require you to travel a lot or work long hours?
- Will you make sure your pet receives regular veterinary care?
- Will you create a backup plan to care for your pet in case you can't arrive home on time or must travel?
- Will you make prior arrangements with responsible friends, a professional pet sitter, a doggie day-care center or boarding center when you need to be away?
- Do you recognize that dogs are social animals that need interaction with people and other animals?
- Will you invest the time to properly socialize your puppy or dog and enroll him in a basic obedience class or puppy kindergarten?
- Will you walk your dog at least twice daily - before and after work for 20 minutes or more each time?
- Will you make sure your dog has bathroom breaks at least every 5 or 6 hours?
- Will you schedule weekend time engaging in fun activities with him?